This page outlines the basic steps to recruiting volunteers. Before recruiting volunteers, make sure your organisation is volunteer-ready by completing the Volunteer Management Health Check.
Our PDF guide takes you through the process of recruiting volunteers step-by-step:
- Getting Ready to Recruit
- Recruitment Process
- Recruitment Campaign
Where to recruit volunteers?
- On our Volunteer Connect website (to recruit volunteers from the local area)
- Social media, online blogs and articles in the local press
- Posters and leaflets
- To your existing volunteers, supporters and stakeholders
- Outreach events and volunteering fairs
- Websites such as do-it.org or charityjob.
Inspiring Volunteers: a guide to recruitment and communications, The Media Trust (PDF)
A guide to avoiding job substitution, NCVO (PDF)
Step-by-step guide to recruiting volunteers, Knowhow Nonprofit (MS Word)
Do I need a DBS? Government Guidance (web link)
We meet with many local organisations who have great ideas about recruitment. Here are few we have heard that we thought were food for thought:
- Join up with another organisation, pool resources and promote roles together. This could help you get more coverage in the press.
- Harness your existing volunteers – they can give you vital information, and help you reach a wider audience. Ask them: why are they there? What makes them love their role? What would they change? And would the be willing to contact more people to get involved?
- How about one-off taster session for people interested in volunteering but worried about commitment